Monday, March 29, 2010

Borneo pt. 1

Over the two week break between Korean school years (Chinese New Year) I took a trip down south to the island of Borneo. I spent most of my time on the Malaysian side, but stumbled over into Indonesia for a few days. I had the opportunity to spend a week walking through the Kelabit Highlands, in the jungle and through villages. It was great to see into the lives of the Kelabit people. Outside the highlands, I spent a few days in Kota Kinabalu and took the two day slog up and down Mt. Kinabalu. I have included some of my favorite shots and anecdotes from the trip.

To get into the highlands, I had to take three flights: Seoul>Kota Kinabalu>Miri>Bario. The flight from Miri to Bario was in a 15 seat Twin Otter turbo prop. Bario is 45 minutes inland by plane from Miri. Very soon after take off, the housing developments of Miri are replaced by the endless palm oil plantations occupying most of the territory between Miri and Bario. Admittedly, the plantations are a beautiful sight. But the view pales in comparison to the beautiful, diverse jungle these plantations have replaced. Something to consider next time you convert that old diesel... Enjoy the shot.

Biofuel for jungle.

Once I reached Bario, I arranged for a local guide to take me on a 6 day 5 night trek/village walk through the highlands. We spent our first night in the settlement Pa Lungan. While the home stay cooked us our delicious dinner, I took a short trip up to the top of a nearby hill. At the top someone had installed a chrome plated cross which allowed me the opportunity to get a photo in the reflection...

Well, Hello.



Big, puffy, and white.







...and capture the approaching shade.

Dinner?
















A popular hobby/source of protein for the Kelabit people is hunting wild boar. Kelabit men spend a lot of time with their trained dogs out in the jungle slaying these beasts. This particular man shared his kill with a few houses in the village, a very common practice. Unfortunately curry was on the menu at the home stay, so I didn't get to try the pig. In this photo he is preparing to skin a hind leg.

The calm after the storm.

My guide was constantly telling me, "You have to finish the rice, or else it will rain tomorrow." The problem was, they always cooked way too much for me to finish the remainder. Needless to say I didn't finish the rice at dinner in Pa Lungan and shortly before bed time it rained. By morning the rain had passed and left in it's place a beautiful morning mist.

No comments:

Post a Comment