Monday, April 4, 2011

Time to roll.


And so begins another trip of a lifetime. Nineteen months ago, I boarded a plane for Korea to explore a new culture in a new region. One month ago I returned with new perspectives on the world, and how my native country fits into it. Throughout my temporary expatriation, I was continually reminded how little I know about the USA, it's people, geography, culture, etc. Many Koreans truly idolize the USA, make it a point of interest in their world travel, and often leave their own country to live here. For these reasons, and in the interest of continual exploration and adventure, I have decided to hit the old country roads of America that John Denver sang about, in search of my country, my pride, most importantly, my patriotism.

As an enthusiastic member of the cycling community, I see the bicycle as the necessary tool for hitting the road. By bicycle, a person can interact with the intimate details of a place and the people around it; at a level difficult to reach by car, plane, train, or bus. Though the label of cyclist often finds itself intertwined in partisan debates, I hope to overcome the stereotypes placed upon my identity, and bond with all walks of life in the USA.

Over the course of this trip, of an indefinite timeline, and of a loosely defined route from the West to the East, and back, I will be publishing the exploits of myself and my traveling companions; Dan and Kane. Please feel free to share ideas, contacts, etc. in the comments section of this blog.

A special thanks Sellwood Cycle Repair and Kona for providing a sturdy bike and helping make this trip possible. Also, to all my family and friends who have supported me in this endeavor; most importantly Emily, whose enthusiasm, encouragement, and selflessness has inspired me to fulfill such an epic experience.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment