Monday, September 12, 2011

Enjoy it twice.

Before giving you the traditional photographic account of our experiences from Huntington, Indiana to Des Moines, Iowa, I'd like to offer one of the easiest "vicarious" opportunities yet. Imagine a field of three and a half foot tall soy bean plants on your left; on your right, a field of seven foot tall corn stalks. Now, imagine this as your constant experience for 80 miles each day, with a daily offering of a new temperature, humidity, wind direction and strength.

Dan suggests pasting a picture of corn on one wall, soy on the other, and sit on a stationary bike in-between. This scenario will produce an accurate depiction of our experience crossing northern Illinois and Indiana by bicycle.









However monotonous the experience may sound, people can always make a difference. In the case of our seven day trek from Indiana to Iowa, we were accompanied by a special guest, my father. Having his first breath in Galesburg, Illinois back in 1956, he felt it appropriate to ride through the region where he spent his first ten years. Witnessing his observations of life within the buckle of the corn belt, we enjoyed stimulating discussions both relevant and irrelevant to the abundant plants which find their way into seemingly all American made consumer goods, and encompass this portion of the heartland.

Galesburg has always been a place I've known about, but had yet to remember visiting. In our short tour through town and visiting family, my father pointed out his birthplace, where he played baseball, and a number of other points of interest. I felt my familial connection to the place where half of my genetic makeup was established. My existence relies upon Galesburg as much as it does any other place. However, in considering the miraculousness of life, I find myself pondering a vast universe of variables, beyond Galesburg, and this country.

With even the simplest understanding of the human reproductive system, the nearly infinite combinations of sperm and egg are enough to astonish the mind. With these ever so slight probabilities in mind, it would be futile to deny the luck of those of us in the living community for having a chance at life. Furthermore, I, and my fellow citizens are part of a select group of over three hundred million, out of over six billion humans who can call themselves Americans. This is obviously off the usual topic, but one I often consider as I continue to enjoy my existence. It's a perspective which helps me appreciate the entitlements I've never had to fight for; embrace the rearing and influences which have guided me to this point; and as I mentioned, lucky to have been a successful combination of sperm and egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment