Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Picnic Birthday Theme

Downtown.

Last year I lived in a different climate. Climate change is real.

Living near the North 45th parallel, the seasons are very defined. In that climate, I find myself asking, "Is this springtime?" If it is true, I can simply wait a few days and deduce, "Yes, this is springtime."

In Seoul--at least for this year--I recently found myself asking, "Was that springtime?" In reference to one Sunday where the sun was shining but I wasn't sweating.

Anyways, according to a brief look at wikipedia, springtime is the time between the three coldest months (winter) and the three warmest months (summer). Here, I think the average spring temperatures must resemble the average summer temperatures.

Picnic time.


On that fine Sunday afternoon, to commemorate the beginning of another fine year for another fine person, we once again hiked to a spot with a nice view and had a little nosh. On a clear day, you can see many of the major Seoul landmarks from one spot. The 63rd Building, Namsan Tower, Myeong Dong, Dongdaemun, and the Blue House. All while avoiding the crowds at the usual hiking spots.

Huge hula hoop.


On the way down, we noticed a few extremely large hula hoops and gave them a twirl. Against my initial expectation, the larger hoops are easier to move continuously.


Huge-la.


It wasn't my first time up there, and I'm hoping it won't be the last.

1 comment: